Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Finding Mr. RightNow


Its easy to agonize about the future. In fact, anxiety about the future almost feels like a right of passage when ambition strikes us. “If it was easy, everyone would do it,” our mind taunts us with the reassuring words that this current pain is worth our potential future gain or pleasure.

I’ve been there. I’m there right now because I can feel the mounting expectations of what’s around the corner. Expectations never cease to amaze me with their ability to take on hardcore tangible characteristics like racing heartbeats, clammy palms, and raw bitten lower lips. These moments, these ideas, these aspirations haven’t even come to fruition and yet our bodies are responding to “the idea” as if we are presently in that moment!

We rob ourselves of the ability to be fully present in our current moments when we are stricken with anxiety for our future. In addition, we render ourselves incapable of leveraging our current power to change a situation by disassociating with the immediate moment and placing ourselves in the future. It’s a vicious cycle.

When I graduated, I found myself searching for a career solution that I could settle down with and build a life. That goal lacked the ability to account for the ever changing circumstances of the dynamic life that I intend to lead. I want to travel. I want to learn. I want to grow. So I quickly realized that I needed to search for Mr. RightNow (MRN) and not Mr.RightForever. What works right now, might be upside down tomorrow.


Mr. RightNow is about:

1. Making Changes

2. Raw Ambition

3. Nothing except this current moment

I chose my current job as a cook at Primo because it satisfied the above three things.

I made a change by moving to a new town with a blue collar spirit, the thick smell of salty sea in the air, and a nurturing community of artists and food lovers.


Raw ambition fueled the e-mails, phone calls, and six hour drive to interview at Primo. The promise of continuing to work and learn at a restaurant inspired by the land, the sea, and the sun fed my desire to return here for my second year.

Enthusiasm, comfort, and possibility tangle in my head each day as I open the kitchen door to start my job. I crave the rush of dinner service and the goosebumps that creep over my skin as I watch the lighthouse blink outside the nighttime restaurant windows.

I found Mr.RightNow and I’m staying right here, because this is the moment that I’ve been waiting for.

1 comment:

  1. WATCH : 11 HILARIOUS MISHEARD LYRICS ABOUT FOOD

    http://perfectmusiclyrics.blogspot.com/2015/06/watch-11-hilarious-misheard-lyrics.html

    A food lover should watch this.. !! enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete