Thursday, June 12, 2014

What Inspires Us?

by Maxine Lambiase, AOS Baking and Pastry, from La Papillote

Inspiration is not something you can easily explain, but everyone in this industry is motivated by something personal and individual. For me, my grandmother is my inspiration. She loved desserts and sweets, and when I made things for her and she liked them, that was all that mattered to me. She inspired me to try new recipes and put my own spin on things and make them my own. She is the reason I’m at the CIA following my dream, and I want people to enjoy my Creations as much as she did.

I asked some students three questions about their inspiration for entering the industry and coming to the CIA. I spoke with Hannah Herdeen, Vanessa Berisic, and Maribeth Coons. They are all AOS Baking and Pastry Students, and are all post externship.

When did you start baking?
Hannah Herdeen: I’ve been doing it since I was ten years old, but got serious about it when I was about fifteen.

What made it enjoyable for you?
Hannah Herdeen: It gave me a way to connect with my uncle, who owned his own restaurant but died at a young age. I never got a chance to meet him.

At what point did you think you would make this your career?
Hannah Herdeen: Probably during my freshman year of high school, when I realized that this was something I could do for the rest of my life that would make me happy and would allow me to make other people happy through my food.



When did you start baking?
Maribeth Coons: I started baking with my grandfather when I was about six years old.

What made it enjoyable for you?
Maribeth Coons: I didn’t get to see my grandfather a lot when I was little because he had gone back to work and was working full time. When he would bring me over to his home to bake with him it was really nice because it was time that I got to spend with only him. He always made everything fun.

At what point did you think you would make this your career?
Maribeth Coons: I actually spent a lot of time flip flopping between going to the CIA and going some where else. I think the first time I said I’d come to the CIA was in the 7th grade though. No matter what else I considered doing for a living, I always came back to being a professional chef.



When did you start baking?
Vanessa Berisic: I used to bake when I was younger usually just helping out with my family, but I actually really started baking sophomore year of high school in my culinary arts class.

What made it enjoyable for you?
Vanessa Berisic: It was an outlet for me to be able to express myself and get away from the stress in my life. Also being able to put a smile on someone’s face from something you made has continued to make it enjoyable for me to this day.

At what point did you think you would make this your career?
Vanessa Berisic: I knew I wanted to make this my career when I realized that baking was much more than just a hobby or interest to me. It was something that I looked forward to each and every day and sought out every opportunity to be able to practice, especially with cake decoration and having my work show through and be appreciated.


Everyone here has a story about who inspires them and why, and everyone’s stories are all very different. Start asking and you can find out a lot of interesting things about our students here. Whether someone is a sculptor, painter, hairdresser, or chef, we see their inspiration in their finished dish. Our audiences, the customers, have wonderful culinary experiences because of the person or people that inspire us to follow our dreams at the CIA.


No comments:

Post a Comment