Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Daily Grind



By Student Blogger Stephanie Kirkland…

On any given week day, I'm out the door by 8:30 a.m. I have three classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and two on Wednesdays and Fridays. This semester, I find myself on a split schedule, meaning I have one class in the morning, a couple of hour break mid afternoon, and finish classes before dinner time. During my natural break times, I am able to grab lunch at a variety of production kitchens, or at most of the on campus restaurants including Apple Pie Bakeryand Café, which offers a variety of café salads, sandwiches, bakery goods, and coffee goodness, Alforno in Caterina de Medici which is a separate entity in the restaurant that provides quick service brick oven pizzas and accompaniments, or to the Plaza Café, which offers a typical variety of made-to-order sandwiches and soups for students on the go.  


My current 8th semester schedule in the bachelor's program and a description of each class I am taking is as follows:

Tuesday and Thursday 10:30 a.m. Anthropology

I have quickly found that Anthropology is an in depth look at food and culture through analyzing the four aspects of Anthropology including archaeology, linguistic anthropology, biological anthropology, and cultural anthropology.

The course is easily broken down into these parts and explained through a variety of sources to ultimately reflect the food and culture of a particular group of people. Throughout history, the lives of a culture depended on food sources and food ways of a society. This and other food concepts and identity is easily transferable onto the modern world today as we continue learning with every class.

Tuesday and Thursday 3:45 p.m. Leadership and Ethics

A thought provoking look, self exploration, and assessment of who you yourself are as a leader  and what qualities of a leader you may possess. Ethical business practices are also discussed with vigor. We also examine leaders in the culinary industry and the qualities that have made them so successful to which we gain knowledge and preparedness from for our own futures.

Tuesday and Thursday 5:30 p.m. Professional Food Writing

Taught by a James Beard award winner herself, Professor Irena Chalmers offers us an in depth look at all fields available in the culinary industry. She also challenges us to write outside of our creative comfort zone.

Wednesday and Friday 10:30 a.m. Consumer Behavior

Throughout this course, we have been trying to grasp and understand why consumers shop and buy products that they do and what could possibly be a factor in influencing those decisions. Is it product placement, marketing schemes, or a solid business model that does the trick?

Wednesday and Friday 2:00 p.m. Human Resource Management

A required course, HR teaches us about rules and regulations in both state and federal guidelines as well as how to handle a slew of occurrences we are sure to come across during our careers in the culinary industry.

As varied as my schedule is, readers may be surprised to hear that most of the information I am learning, I hear in my other scheduled classes. The same overall concepts that are being taught in all classes are constantly reiterated throughout any given semester as I am able to connect the dots and points of interest in each circumstance. If anything, it creates a type of learning environment that I refer to over and over again by being consistently brought back to any one teaching through a variety of connections I have made throughout my education.

No comments:

Post a Comment