Saturday, February 1, 2014

Guess Where? Photo Scavenger Hunt on Campus

by student blogger Kristin

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine showed me a beautiful picture he had just taken. I was impressed by the bright colors, interesting line formations and overall natural beauty of what he had found. Naturally, my first question was “Where did you take this?” He continued to inform me that this beautiful picture had been taken right on my own beloved campus on which I had been residing for three years. Needless to say, this got me thinking.

I love this campus and walk around admiring it every day, but there are obviously still things that even I have missed. Although it is sad to consider that I have been missing these beautiful things for years, I decided to turn this potential negative into a positive and bring the beauty of campus to the people.

There is only one catch. I am not going to tell my readers where on campus these beautiful pictures are from. I will reveal their true identities in good time of course, but for the time being I encourage people to explore campus and open their eyes to things they may not have already seen. I will be posting a different picture every week, each one representing something that is important to the CIA. I had fun exploring my campus and rediscovering what makes the CIA so special so I hope you enjoy the read!

Without further ado, here we go! Today’s theme is:
Hospitality

As the first addition for this kind of scavenger hunt around campus, I wanted to choose a picture that represented a cornerstone principle for the CIA: Hospitality. The CIA was opened on May 22, 1946 by two women that truly understood the meaning of this word. Frances Roth and Katharine Angell created a school that opened its doors and its arms to war veterans returning from World War II. This instantly made the CIA the first of its kind, a school created solely for the purpose of a culinary education. (If you're a history-buff, check Our Story on the CIA's website.)

Often times when we think of the word hospitality, we think back to that feeling we get when we are welcomed home during the holiday season. The front door is opened and the smell of a homemade meal comes wafting into your face. After many embraces, a family member takes your coat and invites you to warm up by the roaring fire where hot cocoa and long conversations await you. This iconic vision of a hearth is what inspired this photo. Though the fire is not on during the summer months, students at the Hyde Park campus are invited to cozy up to this fire during the long dark days of winter.


So the question is, where is it? If you know the answer, feel free to comment on this post. If I have already stumped you, next week’s post will reveal the answer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment