Thursday, January 16, 2014

Throwback Thursday

by student blogger Kristin


Like any college student, I have become very accustomed to regularly checking any and all means of social media to keep up with recent news, happenings and social events. It is quickly becoming tradition, however, to take a quick look into the past once a week. This phenomenon has become known as “Throwback Thursday” and this blog is in honor of this quickly growing tradition.

With my bachelor’s graduation fast approaching, I cannot help but be a bit nostalgic about my life here at the CIA. While sitting in the Apple Pie Bakery Café this afternoon, I was instantly transported back to the fateful day I decided to make this school my home. Therefore, this “Throwback Thursday” blog post is dedicated to my first ever visit to the CIA.

January 2010:

Allow me to set the scene for those reading. At this point in my life, I was 20 years old and had recently decided that the school which I was currently attending was not a fit for me. I had only been home for a few weeks for my college’s winter break and had been strategizing with my parents on what to do with my future. During one of these discussions, I finally gained the courage to express to my parents my interest in attending culinary school. Although my parents have always been supportive, I knew that they would be suspicious of earning such a specific degree when I had never really expressed my interest in culinary school before. I explained the CIA, showed them their website, and within minutes, we were signed up for an open house the very next day (good omen #1).

I was excited, nervous, anxious and trying to remain calm as my mom and I drove the seemingly never ending two hours the next day. I had always heard great things about the CIA but did not know what to expect. To be perfectly honest, I knew nothing about culinary schools or food production in general at this point of my life. I only knew what I hoped it would be: a combination of all my love of art, chemistry, and food.


We pulled into the main entrance, passing an adorable chapel and guard house, and proceeded to park next to the admissions building. Because we had made good time, my mom and I decided to walk around a bit before our open house started. Our first view of Campus was of two beautiful buildings surrounding an open cobbled walkway. One building was tall, brick, and stoic while the other appeared to be dropped there from Italy. I instantly felt at home (good omen #2), but repressed my hopes until I saw more.


My mom and I continued to move towards what was clearly the heart of campus. Seeing Roth Hall for the first time is something I will not soon forget. While showing my parents the CIA website, I had of course seen pictures of this grandiose building. Pictures, however, did not do it justice. Standing in front of Roth, I could appreciate every weathered brick, every shining window, and all aspects of the classic architecture. Though it might sound strange, I remember thinking that the building seemed esteemed and knowledgeable so the caliber of the school must reflect that. I quickly fell in love with the building but, again, did not get my hopes up.



In pursuit of warmth and breakfast, my mom and I entered the looming building. Quickly enough we found the Apple Pie Bakery Café. We walked in the front doors and I had to take a second to let everything sink in. It was perfect. The feel was modern yet quaint with draperies on the ceiling, cute wooden tables, and black cast iron chairs and décor. On each of the tables, there was a caddy proudly sporting an apple on top in honor of the café’s name. Even the servers, which I found out later were students, added to the experience moving from table to table in their blue jackets and long black aprons.

We ordered at the front counter, surrounded by beautiful pastries and product, and received a number to leave on our table. My mother and I found a tall table in the middle of the café still taking in the splendor of everything and chatting feverishly about the day ahead. Within minutes, a smiling student arrived at our table side with a plate full of goodies. After talking to the student for a few minutes about the program, we were invited to enjoy our food and drinks.

I will never forget what I ate that first time I sat in Apple Pie. I had an apple turnover and a cup of hot chocolate. As I enjoyed both of these delicious items, I remember thinking that there was definitely something special about this place. Just the mere fact they could take two things as simple as a turnover and hot cocoa and make them so extraordinarily good had to be a showing of what this school was really about. Just as I looked up to express this thought with my mom, it started snowing (Good Omen #3).

From the time I was in high school, my mom and I have always considered snow to be a sign of good things to come. Whether it be something as simple as school being cancelled or complex like a major life decision, we always took the snow to mean we were doing something right. I looked at my mom as she was looking out the window and knew she had the same thought I did. From that moment on, we knew. I was meant to be at the CIA.

We enjoyed the rest of the day walking around the campus on tour and getting to know some of the people that worked at the school. The whole time I could not stop thinking of how proud I would be to call this school home. Now, 4 years later, I am still proud to be a student of this wonderful school. I am thankful everyday for this fateful visit.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kristin, I am proud to be a graduate of the institute and enjoyed your writing. Keep up the good work. David

    ReplyDelete