Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My 5 Favorite Foods Homework Assignment

by CIA student blogger Leah

She didn't realize what a profound impact her gift would have on me. My mom gave me the book titled, Food Jobs by Irena Chalmers, when I was in high school. It became clear to me that a culinary profession was dignified, possible, important, and exciting. So I went to culinary school. Five years later, I am one of Ms. Chalmer's students in her Food Writing class.

Her assignment to us was as follows: make a list of your five favorite foods and in 15 words or less, describe why you like it.

An intriguing exercise in analyzing my intimate preferences, this homework achieved exactly what I believe homework should achieve. The assignment was thought provoking, manageable, reflective, critical, and interesting.


These Are a Few of My Favorite Things
1. Butter (for versatility)
Brake pads and tape are the only places that it doesn’t belong.

2. Prosciutto (for stunning simplicity)
The simple flavors have layered themselves to create something complex.

3. Peaches (for natural perfection)
Nature got it right, don't even try to make them better. Just please, don't.

4. Cookies and Cream Milkshakes (for balance)
Simultaneously crunchy and creamy, this milkshake achieves inspiring balance.

5. Fried Chicken (for possibilities)
Spicy, sweet, crispy, crunchy, juicy, dry, salty, or cold, it's always delicious.


I have been here for over three years now, and I still struggle to reconcile the reality that this is my real homework sometimes. I just keep asking myself, how did I get so lucky?

1 comment: