Tuesday, December 17, 2013

a true teacher

by student blogger Leah

We had been caught.

And it dawned on me why she had that emotion in her eyes and that strain in her voice. Her words were full of admonishment, but her eyes betrayed her. She was scared.

My class had been assigned a reading about power, and we hadn't read it. So the discussion was about as one sided as they come. She was asking the questions to a room full of blank faces. We avoided her eyes and dodged her questions because we didn't know what she was talking about.

I would be annoyed if I were the teacher and my class had simply disregarded their responsibility and now I was busy having a conversation with myself. She already knew this stuff.

That wasn't what made her angry. She was angry because she feared that we would be taken advantage of, but more importantly it appeared that she was the only who cared.

My perception of this woman as my teacher changed forever that day. She is invested in our futures to the point where her body is wrought with physical pain when it appears that we do not care for ourselves. That we aren't guarding ourselves against the corruption of power or the abuse of ignorance, keeps her awake at night and I saw it on her face that day in our classroom. It is embarrassing to admit that there are days when she cares about us more than we do.



No comments:

Post a Comment