Monday, October 7, 2013

my turn to ask the questions

by student blogger Leah
photo credit: grubstreet.com

I remember sneaking into my parents’ room at night when I was in elementary school to feign a deep interest in the news. Newscasters would talk to people on the streets, asking them questions about the murder or the robbery or the stock market, and I would prop my head up on my hands as my belly pressed into the carpet while I pretended to care.

The truth was, I just didn’t want to go to bed. My parents are way smarter than I ever gave them credit for and they knew what I was doing. I wouldn’t watch the entire nightly news, but I would always sneak a few minutes to procrastinate my bedtime just a little bit longer each night.

This is the first time that I have been the one asking the questions and I couldn’t help but feel so grown up. I still have this illusion sometimes that I’m still a kid because I’m in school.

All those years watching the news with my parents and observing other interviews, it became apparent to me that the result of the interaction between these two people depended heavily upon the questions being asked and the discussion topics brought forth from the interviewer. When I was invited to interview Chef Roberto Santibanez, I researched his background and familiarized myself with his published history in order to become acquainted with him before we actually met.

The reasoning for background research was twofold: I could understand what his history included so that we could discuss his experiences, knowledge, and accomplishments. Second, I wanted to know what the world already knew about Chef Santibanez so that I could offer something new.

Maybe those years of staying up late on school nights and trying to avoid sleep by watching the news did pay off, or maybe those years of lost sleep just stunted my growth. I’m not a kid anymore even if I am still in school, but if I was a kid I would hope that I could hang out in Chef Santibanez’s kitchen where he would let me play with food and teach me how to cook.



No comments:

Post a Comment