Monday, October 7, 2013

Alex Stupak

by student blogger Leah
photo credit: nytimes.com

I hate how limiting time can be. Like when a back massage is so good but you only paid for 20 minutes and those 1,200 seconds seem to have melted away faster than ice on a Carolina summer pavement. Or when you go on vacation for a week and suddenly it's Saturday and a family is already waiting in the driveway to repossess your beach house rental but it feels like you just got there five minutes ago. Or when you’re in the middle of a really great conversation but you have to leave and it just ends abruptly, quickly jarring you back to reality and away from the bliss of another’s company.

…that last one is the trick that time played on me the day that I interviewed Chef Alex Stupak. I was getting up from the interview chair where we had been chatting and I felt sad in a strange, nostalgic way---the emotion felt completely unwarranted because I had just met this gentleman 15 minutes ago so missing him already was utterly unreasonable. However, that didn’t stop me from wanting everything in the world to align and let me keep asking him questions. He was just as captivating in person as he is in this interview.



It is difficult in my experience to create a genuine environment between two strangers, yet Chef Stupak appeared to trust me enough to ask honest questions and in turn he would be completely real about his answers. I am fully aware that people can smell fake or phony from a mile away, and I do my best to avoid it as a writer because I don’t see its purpose. The truth isn’t always glamorous or cool or comfortable, but it is indefinitely valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment