Tuesday, August 6, 2013

a bachelor's life

By Student Blogger Leah

I am hesitant to do a post about a Day in The Life of Me because I fear it will appear as though I have a false sense of importance. My day is no important than your’s, although it is tempting to believe that I’m pretty darn cool because one of the readers wants to know what I do in a day.

Let me assure you, I am not extra cool nor extra important. Now, let’s get on with my day in the most honest and true fashion possible.

8:11 a.m., my apartment
Debate in my head rushing to get to 8:30 a.m. breakfast on time (I truly love CIA breakfast), and my tired bones win. So I lay in bed for a few more minutes, then proceed to apply some sort of business casual outfit to said tired bones. It has taken me a while to create a dependable wardrobe of business casual (affectionately called bizz cajj). I’m not the most adept at fashion so I keep a closet stocked with the classics, thus making daily choices pretty simple---grey sweaters, black skirts, tan pants, colorful blouses, and black flats. Some people find this dress code annoying, and I used to be one of them but these days I just choose to smile at my black leather pumps.



9:08 a.m., my kitchen table
Having access to my own kitchen has made a huge difference since I’ve been in bachelor’s because I don’t cook professionally and I’m not in any cooking classes. So it is up to me to include stove time in my day and sometimes I struggle when I don’t get a chance to experience the alchemy of cooking. However on a lucky morning like this when I manage to fry some eggs (even though I destroyed them in my awful skillet that clings to every food it has ever met), slather some tomato ginger jam from last summer on toast, and make a smoothie, my day feels happier because I got to participate in food.



9:55 a.m., commuter parking lot
There is a bit of construction going on these days at CIA so my mornings now include a short wait at the little stoplight that has found a new home on campus due to the new one lane only road that allows extra space for construction. This brief moment also allows me a bit of time to admire the construction workers’ handiwork. And let me say, look at them go! After my admiration of steel, concrete, and hard hats, I fight for a nice spot that usually involves an intense battle of light sabers and wooden spoons. Alas, I score a piece of prime real estate.



10:08 a.m., Farquharson Hall
The morning light in Farq is one of the most beautiful views on this campus and today is cloudy so you can’t really see any light, but just trust me this room will put a smile on your face. It is also a main hub for socializing and consuming calories. Its main function is to offer CIA students an abnormally stunning eating space or as traditional colleges call it a “dining hall”. I like it here because I can get a little glass of orange juice and a hug from a friend. Today though, I chat with friends over some bread and butter about our proposed weekend plans.



10:20 a.m., Library for study time
There are many hidden gems around campus, I can’t tell you all of them (or else they won’t be hidden---got it?) but I am so pleased to share this one. This small room functions as an amuse bouche of a museum right inside the front door of our very own Conrad Hilton library. Someone oversees a new exhibit in here every once in a while, and I think it’s interesting and I always learn something new when I take a minute to stop in.

As a bachelor’s student, I get to design my own schedule under the watchful guidance of counselors and administrators because there are still very specific requirements. I am in the 1st half of my senior year and I just discovered the pure bliss that results from only choosing classes that start after noon. Why didn’t I do this sooner? Regardless, if I have a paper and a bit (read: a lot) of studying to do then I can wake up like a normal person around 8 a.m. and start my day off being productive, like I’m doing today.

(Then, I officially lost sight of providing photo documentation for my day. So work out those imagination muscles and have a little fun with whatever imagery your heart decides should go along with the rest of my day.)

11:40 a.m., Lunch munch/class
I snag a Chinese pork bun from one of my favorite chefs on campus. I didn’t even have him as an instructor but I always give him a smile and he occasionally gives me leftover food. It’s a sweet little deal we have worked out, and it teaches an important lesson kids: don’t be stingy with those smiles! I sit through Managerial Accounting with one of the most organized and articulate lecturers I have encountered. I love the organization of her class and her southern lilt. She is always very clear in her daily plan, tells us what we need to know and laughs at what we don’t need to know, and then recaps at the end of every class. She’s great.

1:30ish p.m., hallway
I bump elbows with one of my favorite human beings, who happens to work here and teach classes---it’s incredibly convenient how often we get to see each other. This is one of the reasons that I love small colleges: people know who you are and it is not uncommon or difficult to spend a few stolen moments with them.


2 p.m., Social Psychology Class
We are assigned group projects and I catch up with my beautiful friend Kristina about her summer break. The class consists of lecture and note taking.


3 p.m., Apple Pie
A grilled chicken sandwich on toasted bread with herb mayo and the raisin danish make my already good day, just a little bit better. A group from my psych class takes up the corner table and we talk about life while we laugh too loud and eat pastries. I can’t even count the number of times per week that I have these moments of “how did I get so stinkin lucky to be right here, right now in this magnificent place?” I also cherish these afternoons of sitting in our beautiful café with people I really like because I know that once I start working after school, these opportunities will become rare.

4 p.m., Courtside Café
Our fast-casual dining option on campus that offers everything from lentil soup to cheeseburgers. I pick this place to put the finishing touches on my Self Assessment Paper due for my Leadership and Ethics class while I enjoy a cold bevereage...

5:30 p.m., Leadership & Ethics class
After my paper is comfortably tucked into my professor’s bag, we read and explain our personal quotes scribbled all over the white board at the front of the classroom. The quotes must relate to leadership or ethics and I enjoy this particular classroom activity immensely. The quotes activity ranks so highly in my book of classroom memories, right after raising crickets in second grade or making volcanoes in sixth grade. Cooks sometimes get a bad rap for being dense or simplistic, or worst of all--stupid. I couldn't disagree more, cooks along with everyone else in the hospitality industry happen to be some of the most insightful and wise people on this planet because our job is to understand people in a raw, gritty, hands-on way. My classmates delight me every class with thought provoking comments about the ways of this crazy world.

7:16 p.m., local bar
A classmate and dear friend from my Ethics class was in need of a cold drink so we found a spot at one of the many small dive bars in this area that has just enough character to be cool but is geographically far enough from NYC that we aren’t tacky-wannabe-hipsters. Hospitality establishments like this one with cracks in the wood floor and a real copper bar offer some of the most genuine service with the best price tag. These are the neat places that make me proud to be part of this industry.


1 comment:

  1. I actually enjoyed reading through this posting. Many thanks.Explore our collection of heart-inspired recipes. Browse, cook, create, even share your own here.
    personal development Buckinghamshire
    heart intelligence
    food coach Buckinghamshire
    life coaching Buckinghamshire

    ReplyDelete