Sunday, December 2, 2012

Externship: The Greenbrier

Every student in the AOS program has to successfully complete an 18-week internship at a CIA approved food service site. This externship takes place in the middle of the AOS program. I personally believe that what you learn over externship is just as important as what you learn here at the CIA. It gives you real world experience and for those that don't have as much experience, it helps you decide on what you really want to do in the future.

I completed my externship at The Greenbrier Resort. The Greenbrier is a historic wonderland, dating back to the 1700's. It strives in culinary excellence and is a fantastic place to work for food service experience.

 How I "obtained" my position

My first thought on choosing an externship site was that I wanted to travel to another country. After going to the very helpful externship prep seminars, I learned it's not that easy to do... You must be able to speak the language of that country and have to go through the whole process for a student work visa. I quickly realized that that wasn't possible so my next thought was that I wanted to work somewhere where I could learn as much as possible. It didn't take long for me to figure out where I wanted to go. The Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. The Greenbrier's Executive Chef, Richard Rosendale, was one of the competitors of the Bocuse d'or USA Competition that was held this past January at the CIA.



He ended up getting first place and is headed to Bocuse d'or World Competition in Lyon, France in 2013! The Executive Pastry Chef of The Greenbrier, Jean Francois Suteau, has been named one of the top ten pastry chef's in the US by Dessert Professional Magazine. With plenty of determination and never giving up I secured my externship with The Greenbrier 3 weeks before my start date!



During my time at The Greenbrier, I worked on banquets, restaurant service, chocolate work, and even got to work events like the PGA tour! I learned so much more than I ever thought possible.






The experience was absolutely incredible and I'm thankful I chose to complete my externship at The Greenbrier! I highly suggest it for anyone that is going through their externship search!!





No comments:

Post a Comment