Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Restaurant/Classroom



(My
friends and I made a culinary student pyramid to help incoming students
with a scavenger hunt. A humorous start to our class day!)

Recently
my life has been hectic in the best possible way. I'm sure many other
culinary students can relate to this feeling. After all, we are in an
extremely rewarding industry...that never sleeps. I have spent the past
3-weeks studying wine for hours upon hours. The Wine Studies course at
the CIA has been the most challenging class I've EVER taken, and left me
eager to continue my studies and learn more. We took our final exam on
Thursday and began a new class at 6am on Friday. Needless to say, I
caught up on some sleep this weekend :).

Confession: The binding on my Exploring Wines book fell off while studying for my final exam. That's dedication.



I am now working/studying at Caterina de' Medici,
our restaurant on campus that focuses on Northern Italian cuisine. I
remember walking through the garden behind this gorgeous, yellow
building when I came back from Externship in June. I couldn't wait to
harvest herbs and vegetables for class!


Where
did the time go??! I took this picture of garlic in June. With 12-weeks
of school left, I've become sentimental. It still hasn't hit me that
I've started  "restaurant row"--the final part of my CIA education. And
yes, students use this culinary garden for the dishes they prepare in
the restaurant! How cool is that? A true reflection of the season!


(Friends & Classmates Sammy and Debbie)

I've been assigned to the "Hot Apps" station with my long time friend Sammy.
We met on the first day of school and have been inseparable ever since.



Our station was clean and organized--ready for service!




Our station is responsible for 4 dishes. The top seller on our first day (pictured above): Sformato di Zucca con Caprino Fresco e Mostarda--Pumpkin Flan with Goat Cheese and Mustard.

Yum.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the culture and cuisine for the next 3-weeks! I hope you'll join me on my journey!

Ciao,

Nora

No comments:

Post a Comment