Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Final Farewell








Enjoying my classes in AOS, 2 years ago!





I was in 8th grade when the rubber soles of my sneakers first touched CIA soil.


Wide-eyed with wonder, I watched students rushing to and from class, knife bags slung over their shoulders, focused on their chosen destinations. Before that moment, I had no clue that you could go to school solely to learn how to cook, let alone the fact that there was an entire college for this type of training. I wanted so badly to be one of those students decorating cakes, filleting fish, or dipping truffles in chocolate. I knew that the CIA was where I was meant to be.

Chillin' with my Snowchef during my Freshman year at the CIA



After three years here at The Culinary, and dozens of life-changing experiences later, I am finally on the brink of graduating with my Bachelor's degree... and I can proudly say that I made the right choice. I truly would not be the person (and the chef) I am today without the education and knowledge I gained from attending this school, and interacting with some of the most talented chefs in the industry.

I guess you could say I am becoming a bit nostalgic. Thinking back, I realize that as I progressed through the AOS and BPS programs, I felt myself becoming more and more comfortable in my surroundings, and growing into my own personal style of Pastry Chef.

What I love is that all of the students that have come before me, as well as those that will come after, have gone through the same thing, each person developing their own personal sense of self expression. This is where our biggest opportunity lies here at school. We are working alongside future chefs of our generation, and that is something truly amazing to think about. Right now, I can think of at least five people off of the top of my head that will be industry-changing. And even still, there are all of those students that will make a difference in their chosen realm of the industry, even if it isn’t a global one, and that is equally as important.

For those of you who are about to spend a few years of  your time here in the beautiful Hudson Valley, count yourself as one of
the extremely lucky few for having the opportunity to attend the CIA. Yeah,
yeah I know it’s cliché, but seriously! What kind of chef would you be if you
weren’t here, meeting Jerome Bocuse at the Bocuse d’Or, rubbing elbows with
Thomas Keller during a presentation, tasting the latest in Greek Wines with a
Master of Wine, or flying to foreign countries all over the World to bathe in
their culinary culture?



Enjoying my time in Italy with the BPS program, a truly life-changing three weeks!


This school offers you opportunities that no other
institute does, and there is something to be said about that. It’s what you
make of it that matters. And never forget that your time spent on these sacred
culinary grounds was earned, but you still need to keep a level head once
you’re out in the industry.

For all of the students that have come and gone, and for all that are eager to break new ground here at the CIA, promise me that you will make this alma mater proud, and show them your
stuff when you put that plate at the pass or greet that customer with your
gleaming smile.

That’s how it should be done!  

Thank you all for reading my words, and be sure to visit my blog if you ever need any baking info!
I wish you all the best of luck in your Culinary endeavors.

Stay hungry and curious,

Blayre :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment